WITHDRAWN: Michael Bloomberg 2020

Addie

WITHDRAWN: Michael Bloomberg 2020

Post by Addie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:14 am

Associated Press
Michael Bloomberg donates $1.8B to Johns Hopkins amid speculation of 2020 presidential bid

Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg is donating $1.8 billion to his alma mater, Johns Hopkins University.

Bloomberg and the Baltimore university said Sunday that the gift is the largest ever to any education institution in the U.S.

University President Ronald Daniels is calling the gift "transformative." He says the contribution will allow Hopkins starting next fall to eliminate student loans in financial aid packages and commit to admitting the highest-achieving students regardless of ability to pay.

Bloomberg says America is at its best when it rewards people "based on the quality of their work, not the size of their pocketbook."

The 76-year-old founder of the global finances services company Bloomberg L.P. is among the world's richest people. He is also weighing a run for president in 2020.

Addie

Re: Michael Bloomberg 2020

Post by Addie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:20 pm

Des Moines Register: Michael Bloomberg focuses on climate change, gun control in his first visit to Iowa

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:40 pm

Addie wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:14 am
Associated Press
Michael Bloomberg donates $1.8B to Johns Hopkins amid speculation of 2020 presidential bid
:snippity:
The 76-year-old founder of the global finances services company Bloomberg L.P. is among the world's richest people. He is also weighing a run for president in 2020.
These senior citizens ought rethink their position and enjoy the days remaining. Who want's an 80+ year old president whose mental and physical health can fail from one hour to the next?

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:54 pm

That's what I say, too, Richard. Enough already.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:58 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:40 pm

These senior citizens ought rethink their position and enjoy the days remaining. Who want's an 80+ year old president whose mental and physical health can fail from one hour to the next?
Trump voters.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:39 pm

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Does anybody remember his tenure in NYC??????
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:04 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:29 pm
Does anybody remember his tenure in NYC??????
Looking for sarcasm quotes.
Because without them, as an honest question , I remember nothing of it. That being said, I'm not even sure if I was living in the states.

And, as my Drivers Education teacher said, "If no one remembers any details of your driving when you get to the destination, you drove well."
The Mercury Project

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:35 pm

The Hill
Bloomberg aides interview potential staffers in New Hampshire, Iowa as 2020 speculation mounts: report

Advisers to former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg are interviewing potential staff in Iowa and New Hampshire, signaling a potential 2020 presidential run for the billionaire, CNBC reported Friday.

Sources told CNBC that Bloomberg associate Kevin Sheekey has had meetings with potential hires in the early contest states in the primaries that set the tone for the rest of the race. ...

If Bloomberg were to join the Democratic race, he'd be facing off against a multitude of Democrats. The New York independent has ruled out a bid outside of a major party.

"In 2020, the great likelihood is that an independent would just split the anti-Trump vote and end up re-electing the President," he said in a statement in January. "That's a risk I refused to run in 2016 and we can't afford to run it now."

"We must remain united, and we must not allow any candidate to divide or fracture us. The stakes couldn’t be higher," he added in the statement.

Addie

Re: WITHDRAWN: Michael Bloomberg 2020

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:33 pm

NPR
Former New York Mayor Bloomberg Decides Against 2020 Presidential Bid

Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has announced he will not run for president in 2020.

"While there would be no higher honor than serving as president, my highest obligation as a citizen is to help the country the best way I can, right now," Bloomberg wrote in an op-ed on the news site he owns, Bloomberg News. "That's what I'll do, including the launch of a new effort called Beyond Carbon."

Beyond Carbon will be the 77-year-old billionaire's effort to "retire every single coal-fired power plant over the next 11 years" and to "begin moving America as quickly as possible away from oil and gas and toward a 100 percent clean energy economy."

Bloomberg, who was first elected mayor of New York as a Republican, opted out of a growing field of Democratic candidates. Bloomberg served as mayor of the country's largest city from 2002 until 2013. He switched parties to Democratic and independent during his tenure but has typically supported more liberal social causes.

Bloomberg called President Trump "a threat to our country" and said that "New Yorkers know a con when we see one." But Bloomberg also warned, "We cannot allow the primary process to drag the party to an extreme that would diminish our chances in the general election" and give Trump four more years.
Adding:
Bloomberg Editorial: Our Highest Office, My Deepest Obligation

I’m not running for president, but I am launching a new campaign: Beyond Carbon.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Michael Bloomberg 2020?

Post by Orlylicious » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Another youngster considers jumping in.
Mike Bloomberg keeps talking to allies about running for president as Joe Biden struggles against Elizabeth Warren
PUBLISHED 3 HOURS AGO UPDATED AN HOUR AGO
Brian Schwartz @SCHWARTZBCNBC

Mike Bloomberg has indicated to associates in recent weeks that Joe Biden’s recent struggles are making him rethink his decision to stay out of the 2020 Democratic primary, according to people familiar with the discussions. “Bloomberg is in if Biden is out,” says one source. Biden has not indicated any desire to drop out any time soon. Bloomberg could be in for a showdown with Elizabeth Warren, whether he runs or not, as he has been one of her biggest critics on the Democratic side. Bloomberg, the billionaire former mayor of New York, has indicated to associates in recent weeks that Joe Biden’s recent struggles against Sen. Elizabeth Warren are making him rethink his decision to stay out of the 2020 Democratic primary. That’s according to people familiar with the discussions who spoke on condition of anonymity because the conversations were deemed private.

Bloomberg has signaled he’s “still looking at” running for president, but people close him say that the only way he could even go down that path is if Biden’s fortunes suffer so much that he drops out before or during the early stages of the primary. Bloomberg could then enter the race as one of the rare moderates with enough name recognition and campaign funding to make a run. Forbes estimates his net worth at $51 billion, and he was planning to spend over $100 million on a campaign for president if he ran. “I think it’s something he wants. He has not been shy about that,” one of Bloomberg’s allies familiar with the talks told CNBC. “Nothing can happen unless Biden drops out, and that’s not happening anytime soon,” this person added. “He’s like everyone else. They can’t get it out of their system,” said a banking executive who has known Bloomberg for decades. “Bloomberg is in if Biden is out,” said another New York billionaire with ties to Bloomberg.

During his three terms as mayor, Bloomberg was a Republican and an independent. He registered as a Democrat again one month before the party’s triumph in the 2018 midterm congressional elections, during which Bloomberg was a big donor. He has said he would run as a Democrat if he pursued the White House this time. Axios reported in April that Bloomberg might still run for president, despite his announcement a month earlier. Fox Business reported in September that he still has a team of political advisors and has kept the door open to running in 2020.

Bloomberg, who is 77, considered running in the 2016 election, but announced he wouldn’t do it. He eventually endorsed Democrat Hillary Clinton in the race. Before that, there was speculation he would run in 2012, but he declined and eventually backed President Barack Obama. Representatives for Bloomberg did not respond to repeated requests for comment after several days of outreach. A spokesperson for the Biden campaign did not return a request for comment.
Bloomberg has had his run-ins with Warren, setting up a possible battle between the two, regardless of whether he enters the race. During a recent forum hosted by Everytown for Gun Safety, a group Bloomberg founded and continues to financially support, the former New York mayor seemed to take a swipe at her anti-corporate policies. “I just said to Senator Warren on the way out, ‘Senator, congratulations, it’s a nice talk. But let me just remind you if my company hadn’t been successful, we wouldn’t be here today, so enough with this stuff,’” he said. In January, when he was considering a run for president, he took a shot at Warren’s wealth tax proposal, calling it unconstitutional. “It’s called Venezuela,” he said at the time.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/14/bloombe ... arren.html
Photo: In honor of Lt Root Beer! Support the 699th: https://www.facebook.com/Imperial-Illum ... 259897297/
Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot!"

tek

Re: Michael Bloomberg 2020?

Post by tek » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Jeezus no.
There's no way back
from there to here

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Political Wire
Bloomberg Rethinking Race as Biden Struggles

“Michael Bloomberg has indicated to associates in recent weeks that Joe Biden’s recent struggles against Sen. Elizabeth Warren are making him rethink his decision to stay out of the 2020 Democratic primary,” CNBC reports.

“Bloomberg has signaled he’s ‘still looking at’ running for president, but people close him say that the only way he could even go down that path is if Biden’s fortunes suffer so much that he drops out before or during the early stages of the primary. Bloomberg could then enter the race as one of the rare moderates with enough name recognition and campaign funding to make a run.”

Said one Bloomberg ally: “I think it’s something he wants. He has not been shy about that. Nothing can happen unless Biden drops out, and that’s not happening anytime soon.”

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Addie, sorry! I searched and didn't see a Bloomberg topic, I'll see if I can delete it or maybe the mods can. Sorry about that!
ETA: Nope. Sorry but you may only delete posts which have not been replied to.
Photo: In honor of Lt Root Beer! Support the 699th: https://www.facebook.com/Imperial-Illum ... 259897297/
Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot!"

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:52 pm

No worries. It happens. :bighug:
Orlylicious wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:46 pm
Addie, sorry! I searched and didn't see a Bloomberg topic, I'll see if I can delete it or maybe the mods can. Sorry about that!
ETA: Nope. Sorry but you may only delete posts which have not been replied to.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Love you Addie, you're awesome! :lovestruck: Was just so shocked that 77 year old Bloomberg would even consider it.

Turtle

Re: Michael Bloomberg 2020?

Post by Turtle » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:36 pm

Last election he said if Bernie wins the nomination, he would run independent in the general. I guess it's the same now, plus with Warren.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:00 pm

! Message from: Foggy
Merged the two Bloomberg topics.
I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:40 pm

NOT SO FAST!

The Twitter machine is saying Bloomberg will file in Alabama because of its early deadline.

Man, what this primary needs is another old white dude, huh? :thumbs:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:18 pm

And the consensus is, he's joining the race to try to stop Liz Warren, who released a "billionaire's calculator" today so he could figure out how much of his wealth she would tax.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elizabe ... an-2019-11

He has 6 days to qualify for the Nov. 20 debate by getting donations from 165,000 people and getting 3% in 4 approved national polls.

FAIL. :nope: :talktothehand:

realist

Post by realist » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:21 pm

Foggy wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:18 pm
And the consensus is, he's joining the race to try to stop Liz Warren, who released a "billionaire's calculator" today so he could figure out how much of his wealth she would tax.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elizabe ... an-2019-11

He has 6 days to qualify for the Nov. 20 debate by getting donations from 165,000 people and getting 3% in 4 approved national polls.

FAIL. :nope: :talktothehand:
NYT article says he has not fully decided to run but will make sure he files in time in Alabama and other states with a very near deadline.

It also says he will not raise outside money so therefore won’t be in the debates. Also may skip the first 4 states’ primaries.

He, and anyone like him, is the last thing this race needs. I’d posit he has even less chance of defeating Trump than Warren or Sanders and likely less than Biden as well.

My .02.
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:27 pm

I suspect, if he really is getting in the race, that he will help Liz Warren more than he will hurt her. :smoking:

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:30 pm

Guess he can afford to file now, and decide later. :bored:

Go Liz!
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Return to “Presidential Election”