Sherrod Brown 2020

Addie

Sherrod Brown 2020

Post by Addie » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:33 am

New York Times
Sherrod Brown: Rumpled, Unvarnished and Just Maybe a Candidate for President

COLUMBUS, Ohio — One after another, the Democratic candidates in Ohio fell.

But there was Senator Sherrod Brown celebrating his re-election last Tuesday night at a hotel ballroom before a crowd of anxious revelers.

“Let our country — let our nation’s citizens, our Democratic Party, my fellow elected officials all over the country — let them all cast their eyes towards the heartland,” Mr. Brown said from the stage, dispelling the sense of disappointment that had begun to descend.

Then, his gravelly voice rasping out a crescendo, he made it clear where he thought his party could forge its path to success: his triumphant campaign, he said, was the “blueprint for America for 2020.” The revelers roared.

If his victory speech seemed to double as a calling card for a possible presidential run, there was good reason. Not only had Mr. Brown won his third term in this crucial battleground that President Trump claimed by eight points, he was the only major Democrat to win a statewide seat in Ohio.

Almost immediately, some Democrats began to wonder if Mr. Brown possessed the secret to retaking a state that seemed to be steadily slipping from their grasp.

A week later — after insisting for years that a run for president was far off his radar — Mr. Brown has begun wondering aloud if he should have the world’s most important job after all.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Re: Sherrod Brown 2020

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:36 am

He shouldn't run for POTUS. It would cost the Democrats a Senate seat, at a time when it is increasingly clear that a President without a Senate majority will be incapable of installing judges and Cabinet officers. If anything, Brown should consider running for Governor of Ohio in 4 years, so he would be in a position to appoint his own successor. But he won't do that, because the Governor of Ohio is term-limited, whereas he can be a US Senator forever if he wants to. But at this point, I'm not down with giving up any Senate seats to take the White House.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

AndyinPA

Sherrod Brown

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:00 pm

Senator Brown is on Chris Hayes' show right now looking at running, although not quite out there yet. Link when available.

My favorite ticket so far: Brown/Warren or Warren/Brown.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/sherro ... t-in-2020/
Brown plans to visit Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina -- all states that are early in the presidential primary schedule for the 2020 elections.

He soared to re-election in November, even as Republicans claimed all other statewide elected seats. He is known for his populist economic positions, and his distrust of free trade.

Brown's interview comes hours after a fellow Democratic senator, New York's Kirsten Gillibrand, announced that she was launching an exploratory committee for president. She threw her hat in the ring for the Democratic nomination in an appearance on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" airing Tuesday night.

Edited to add link.

Addie

Re: Sherrod Brown

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:58 pm

I like Sherrod Brown a whole lot :thumbs:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 pm

I do too. He is REAL...as opposed to the orange pretender to the presidency.

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:03 pm

The Week
Republicans are preparing for a Sherrod Brown 2020 campaign

A Republican political action committee is taking the possibility of a Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) presidential bid seriously, and their opposition research has already begun.

The America Rising PAC, a group allied with President Trump, is doing opposition research on Brown's wife, Connie Schultz, BuzzFeed News reports. Schultz is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and outspoken critic of Trump who described herself as "the woman [Trump] hates" in an interview with Politico. She teaches journalism at Kent State University and would reportedly be visible on the campaign trail should Brown decide to run.

After Brown was re-elected to the Senate in November, America Rising filed a Freedom of Information Act request to obtain Schultz's Kent State University records, looking for her "contracts and performance evaluations," says BuzzFeed News. They reportedly received 37 pages worth of material. The PAC in a statement said that it wants to "ensure all publicly available information about a candidate is made known to voters." An adviser to Brown told BuzzFeed that it's "no surprise" that Republicans are "worried" about Brown's 2020 potential.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:36 pm

The Right has always gone after him with a special viciousness from the first time he ran. I've donated to him since his first run at the Senate.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:59 am

We already have a Sherrod Brown 2020 thread. I like him, but I'm merging them.

Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

#ThanosDidNothingWrong

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:05 am

Foggy wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:59 am
We already have a Sherrod Brown 2020 thread. I like him, but I'm merging them.
Egon warns against merging "the streams". :cantlook:

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:12 pm

CNN
Sherrod Brown: "I Could Beat Trump In Ohio And New York"

Sen. Sherrod Brown says he could defeat President Donald Trump in Ohio and New York in 2020, even though he won't say if he's running for president yet.

"I would say that I will beat Trump in Ohio, where they know me best. I'll beat him in my home state and I'll beat him in his home state of New York, where they know him best," the Ohio Democrat told Van Jones on CNN's "The Van Jones Show," airing Saturday at 7 p.m. ET.

Brown said he is still weighing a presidential bid with his family and said he likes the diversity and energy in an increasingly crowded Democratic field. He is going on a listening tour about "the dignity of work" in four early primary states.

"Too many national Democrats think that we either speak to the progressive base or you speak to the workers," Brown said. "When in fact, it's not an either-or, you got to do both."

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:25 am

Columbus Dispatch
Despite temp of 4 below, more than 300 show up for Sherrod Brown's kick-off rally

BRUNSWICK, Ohio — History will record that it was 4 degrees below zero when America’s 46th president launched the campaign that won an improbable bid for the White House.

Or not.

Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown rallied home-state supporters Wednesday night on the eve of heading to Iowa to launch a multi-state Dignity of Work tour that will play a critical role in deciding whether the Democrat formally will join the multitude seeking the 2020 nomination.

“We fight for our progressive values. We fight for the dignity of work. It’s who we are. It’s how we govern. It’s how we won. And it’s how we’ll win in 2020,” Brown told more than 300 who showed up despite the deep freeze.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:38 am

Addie wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:12 pm
CNN

Sen. Sherrod Brown says he could defeat President Donald Trump in Ohio and New York in 2020, even though he won't say if he's running for president yet.

"I would say that I will beat Trump in Ohio, where they know me best. I'll beat him in my home state and I'll beat him in his home state of New York, where they know him best," the Ohio Democrat told Van Jones on CNN's "The Van Jones Show," airing Saturday at 7 p.m. ET.

Brown said he is still weighing a presidential bid with his family and said he likes the diversity and energy in an increasingly crowded Democratic field. He is going on a listening tour about "the dignity of work" in four early primary states.

"Too many national Democrats think that we either speak to the progressive base or you speak to the workers," Brown said. "When in fact, it's not an either-or, you got to do both."
To be fair, a corner hotdog vender could beat trump in NY.

ImageImageImage x4

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:06 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:38 am
Addie wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:12 pm
CNN

To be fair, a corner hotdog vender could beat trump in NY.
Now I'm hungry. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Presidential Election”