Joseph "Joe" Robinette Biden Jr. 2020 - 4/25/19 He's In!

Foggy

Re: Joseph "Joe" Robinette Biden Jr. 2020 - 4/25/19 He's In!

Post by Foggy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:57 am

I mean, the real difference of opinion here is whether or not you believe that the current GOP is an existential threat to the country & its citizens & its inhabitants or not.
I do believe that. I don't understand how anyone cannot believe that.
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:13 am

ABC News: Dreamers' should immediately be made citizens in immigration plan: Biden
Above The Law: Joe Biden’s De Jure v. De Facto Segregation Problem: Explained By A Black Person

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:23 pm

He puts his feet so often in his mouth, should be in a wheelchair by now:
Joe Biden criticised by crowd for suggesting mocking a ‘gay waiter’ was more socially acceptable five years ago
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEF ... id=US%3Aen
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:54 pm

Axios: Biden says he refuses to accept he's "the old guy" of the 2020 field
TIME: Biden's Support Slipped 10 Points After Debates, Poll Shows ...

Biden appears to have slipped in the polls after each debate, his support falling to 35.4% after the first debate and to 31.5% after the second round.
LA Times: Why Biden still leads and why that might not last

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:35 pm

Addie wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:54 pm
Axios: Biden says he refuses to accept he's "the old guy" of the 2020 field
TIME: Biden's Support Slipped 10 Points After Debates, Poll Shows ...

Biden appears to have slipped in the polls after each debate, his support falling to 35.4% after the first debate and to 31.5% after the second round.
Biden isn't only old, he is way past his expiring date.

boots

Post by boots » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:18 pm

Alright. I don't intend to get into any pissing contest with anyone. But...

As I don't really identify as a party loyalist ( :eek2: ) I will say it's somewhat annoying to see Democrats constantly running the guy down because he is "old" and "white" and a "guy" who "isn't gay." But whatevs. I'm not even going to read people trying to engage in mental gymnastics about that, just thought I'd leave that here. Because I can't be the only one thinking it! :daydream:

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:16 pm

boots wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:18 pm
Alright. I don't intend to get into any pissing contest with anyone. But...

As I don't really identify as a party loyalist ( :eek2: ) I will say it's somewhat annoying to see Democrats constantly running the guy down because he is "old" and "white" and a "guy" who "isn't gay." But whatevs. I'm not even going to read people trying to engage in mental gymnastics about that, just thought I'd leave that here. Because I can't be the only one thinking it! :daydream:
I love Biden, always have. I loved him back in the day because he was a lefty and most closely represented my positions and societal goals, and because he was kind. Loved him with Obama. However, I won't be voting for him in this primary, because he no longer most closely represents my positions and goals. I share your dislike of stereotyping and over-generalization. I particularly don't like the constant harping on the "Uncle Joe makes goofs when you let him talk" crap. I find the long-standing concept that his staff is always trying to shut him up to be insulting and cheap. And bad journalism.

Moreover, I don't like it when any Dem runs down any other Dem using stereotypical arguments. Accent on "running down". I have no problem with challenging current positions or asking about past positions. Unlike many here, I have no problem with voters thinking that a candidate being a woman or member of a minority group or young is an asset under the "time to give somebody else a chance" rule. This, is not in any way running down Biden because he is not female or a person of color or whatever.

I am also comfortable including the "it's not her time" reason (either too late or too soon).

I believe that because communication has changed so drastically in the last ten years, it has left a generation behind. Biden is a member of that generation; when I hear him talk, I do not relate to his gentle spin and reliance on the old ways of politicking. That's one of the reasons I won't be voting for him. No running down. But related to age? Yes.

On the other hand, while being female is a major plus for me, that does not mean that all the woman are at the top of my list. Two certainly are (currently), but two are at the very bottom, and two are in the middle (y'all can guess who. :-D) But at this point I have no ride-or-die.

And if Biden gets it, I'll fight for him with all my might. I have immense respect for him. Do I think he did an incredibly destructive thing to the country the way he ran the Anita Hill hearings? Yes. Do I hold it against him? Yes. Is that running him down? No.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:04 am

Another dark stain:
'The US has no obligation': Biden fought to keep Vietnamese refugees out of the US
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... -of-the-us

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:47 pm

WaPo - Jennifer Rubin
Biden helped himself, mostly ...

However, Biden’s interview was overall a success, in part because he was doing it in the first place. He has been cloistered from network interviews and inclined to keep the press at bay during his campaign appearances. That turned out to be a poor idea, both because it left him rusty and because his opponents, by and large, are eager to appear whenever and wherever they can. If the CNN interview is the beginning of a new Biden press strategy, it couldn’t come fast enough.

Even better, Biden is affirmatively defending his policy stance — which just so happens to be popular with most voters, even Democratic primary voters. “Look, it’s center left, that’s where I am. Where it’s not is way left,” he said, emphatically distancing himself from his three closest rivals, who have embraced proposals such as Medicare-for-all. Biden defended the public health-care option (“I believe there should be health care for everyone. That’s rational and will cost a hell of a lot less and will work”) and reminded voters that “if they like their employer-based insurance, which a lot of unions broke their neck to get, a lot of people like theirs, they shouldn’t have to give it up.” Perhaps in a preview of what he’ll deliver at the next debate, Biden went on offense to point out the logistical nightmare of moving everyone to Medicare. (“How long is that going to take? What’s it going to do?”)

He went down the list, dinging the items his opponents eagerly embraced. Decriminalizing illegal entry into the United States? Nope. “I think people should have to get in line, but if people are coming because they’re actually seeking asylum, they should have a chance to make their case.” Giving illegal immigrants health insurance? Not happening. “I think undocumented people need to have a means by which they can be covered when they’re sick,” Biden said. “That’s what I think we should be doing, by building more clinics around the country, not just for undocumented but for other people. When they’re ill, when they’re sick, it’s just common decency.” These are perfectly mainstream, sensible positions — which his team should hope he sticks up for in the next debate.

Biden showed some feistiness toward President Trump. “The idea that I’d be intimidated by Donald Trump — he’s the bully that I knew my whole life,” Biden told Cuomo. “He’s the bully that I’ve always stood up to. He’s the bully that used to make fun when I was a kid that I stutter, and I’d smack him in the mouth.” That’s not an approach that is going to work for female candidates or for the cool, cerebral Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind. It might, however, serve Biden well.
Adding:
The Guardian: Biden jabs leftwing Democrats and says Trump a bully he'd 'smack in the mouth'
The Hill: Biden on health care for undocumented migrants: How do you say, 'I'm gonna let you die'

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:12 pm

The Hill: Biden apologizes for remarks about segregationist senators
Politico: 'Reclamation project': Trump hits back at Biden
CBS News: Biden says he's "changed" since his days in the Senate

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:13 pm

:cantlook:

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:16 pm

FiveThirtyEight: Is Joe Biden Still The Front-Runner?

A FiveThirtyEight Chat

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:05 pm

Joe Biden has released his tax returns while Trump has not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/09/us/p ... worth.html

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:37 pm

Here's Joe and Jill with Chris Cuomo -- Joe is betting that moderate Democrats prevail. I'm one of them, I don't agree with decriminalizing illegal entry, forcing people into a public option, quickly trying to fundamentally change our energy consumption, wiping out all student debt (not fair to those who have paid it back already), slavery reparations and stuff like that. The next debates at the end of the month are the next time we're really going to think about it -- if candidates take those pro positions, we're going to have a hard (not impossible) time supporting them.

Avatar Photo: Dedicated to Slim by the International Brotherhood of Weasels.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:04 am

The Hill
Biden to rebuke Trump on international affairs

Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden is expected to rebuke President Trump's foreign policy in a speech laying out his own vision in New York on Thursday.

A senior Biden campaign official told reporters in a call on Wednesday that the former vice president will present a stark contrast with Trump on policy areas such as international agreements, the global economy, and dealing with foreign adversaries.

Biden is expected to call for revamping U.S. foreign policy through improving domestic policy, promoting a global economy, and putting the U.S. back in a leadership role in combatting threats such as climate change.

The official said Biden will specifically outline how his administration would help equip Americans to compete and succeed in the global economy.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:06 am

This should be as easy as shooting fish in a barrel. Let's hope Joe doesn't shoot a hole in the barrel.

realist

Post by realist » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:16 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:06 am
This should be as easy as shooting fish in a barrel. Let's hope Joe doesn't shoot a hole in the barrel.
:yeah:
ImageX 4 ImageX36

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 am

Orlylicious wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:37 pm
Here's Joe and Jill with Chris Cuomo -- Joe is betting that moderate Democrats prevail. I'm one of them, I don't agree with decriminalizing illegal entry, forcing people into a public option, quickly trying to fundamentally change our energy consumption, wiping out all student debt (not fair to those who have paid it back already), slavery reparations and stuff like that. The next debates at the end of the month are the next time we're really going to think about it -- if candidates take those pro positions, we're going to have a hard (not impossible) time supporting them.
If I were Joe, I'd take care in framing this as a "moderate" vs "radical" debate, because the fact is that the "moderate" Democrats have not only almost entirely failed to hold Trump accountable for his crimes, but they also appear to be more motivated by fighting with Democrats who do want to hold him accountable than they are by even lifting a finger to try to hold him accountable.

And maybe there are good arguments against canceling student debt, but the argument from fairness—that it's unfair to those who have already paid or that it merely benefits the rich kids—is as dumb and as selfish as arguing for the unfairness of public secondary education when others have already paid for private.

(And I don't want to have to vote for another old white guy, either, but sometimes you do what you gotta do.)
How deep could the Deep State go if the Deep State could go deep?

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:59 am

WaPo - Matt Viser
Joe Biden’s Senate records could answer questions about his past actions — but they’re being kept secret

Joe Biden’s effort to make his lengthy experience the central issue of his campaign has been confounded by questions about his actions during almost four decades as a U.S. senator, on issues including criminal justice, busing and the hearings into the nomination of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.

Those questions might be answered in the massive trove of Senate records he donated eight years ago to the University of Delaware under an agreement that they could be made public by early this year.

But the records are being kept secret, following new terms the university posted on its website just before Biden made his presidential campaign official in April.

Biden has sought to blunt criticism of his past actions by putting the most positive spin on them, but the limited availability of documents from his 36-year Senate career complicates a full evaluation of his record.

The collection of documents that Biden donated to his alma mater fills 1,875 boxes and also includes 415 gigabytes of electronic records. It includes committee reports, drafts of legislation and correspondence.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:55 am

Axios
Joe Biden unveils his health care plan

Joe Biden rolled out a health care plan Monday whose policies and political priorities are both rooted firmly in the Affordable Care Act.

Details: The cornerstone of Biden's proposal is a new public insurance option, which would compete alongside private insurance. The public plan would be available to everyone, even people who get their coverage from an employer. That's an important difference from the one that was debated in 2010.
Biden also would make the ACA's premium subsides more generous and more widely available.
On cost control, the plan would give Medicare the power to directly negotiate drug prices and establish a new board to determine a fair price for new, first-in-class drugs.
Drugmakers would also have to pay a tax if they raise their prices above inflation.

There's a proposal to end surprise hospital billing, but otherwise not a lot in there on hospital costs.
One potential controversy: Biden's new public option would automatically take the place of the Medicaid expansion in states that haven't expanded.
States that have expanded would have to keep paying their share of the bill for the expansion.

In other words, non-expansion states would get a better deal than those that participated in the expansion — arguably, rewarding their resistance to the ACA.
The bottom line: Health care may be the most defining substantive policy disagreement among the 2020 field.
Adding:
Politico: Biden unveils health care plan: Affordable Care Act 2.0
Associated Press: Biden aggressively defends health law known as ‘Obamacare’

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:04 am

You can't do much until you have the House and the Senate on your side. The best you can do is to undo the Madman's executive orders. Tom Steyer has been running a bunch of ads about what a charitable person he is, but that doesn't tell me he's a leader. Anyone can throw money at a problem if they have the money. I'd rather see him spending his $$ on having the Dems regain the Senate.

There are good health plans on the shelf. Just copy the best from our neighbors to the north and that country across the pond. Yes their taxes pay for it, but all in all their standard of living is at least as good as ours. It won't happen unless Joe has both houses on his side.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:01 pm

CNN: Joe Biden releases plan aimed at helping rural America

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Somehow I missed it that Joe is not in favor of either a public option or Medicare for all. Today he was explaining how bad they are. So long, Joe, and thanks for all the fish.
ImageImageImage

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:11 pm

Wait what? Addie just posted above that Biden's cornerstone is a public option. He said he wasn't in favor of that?
Details: The cornerstone of Biden's proposal is a new public insurance option, which would compete alongside private insurance. The public plan would be available to everyone, even people who get their coverage from an employer. That's an important difference from the one that was debated in 2010.
Avatar Photo: Dedicated to Slim by the International Brotherhood of Weasels.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:52 pm

Thanks, 'Licious. I will take another look in the morning. Might have been Medicare for All he was talking about. I heard the part where he was reported to be dissing the idea as financially untenable and that rural hospitals might have to close. I am pretty vehemently against the dissing of alternative programs, so it caught my attention. I'm wicked tired and have been at the computer since 9 AM, so I may have missed which specific plan he was rejecting.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Presidential Election”