Joseph "Joe" Robinette Biden Jr. 2020?

Orlylicious

Joseph "Joe" Robinette Biden Jr. 2020?

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:47 pm

Hope Uncle Joe runs even if he's not the pick, having his voice in the conversation would be great. Just running doesn't mean he would win or should win, but his energy would be welcome and happy he's playing a 2018 role.

Biden, in public and private, tiptoes toward a 2020 run

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Vice President Joe Biden is tiptoeing toward a potential presidential run in 2020, even broaching the possibility during a recent gathering of longtime foreign policy aides. Huddled in his newly opened office steps from the U.S. Capitol, Biden began a planning meeting for his new diplomacy center by addressing the elephant in the room. He said he was keeping his 2020 options open, considering it a real possibility. He insisted he had made no decision, and didn’t need to yet, according to five people who either attended the meeting or were briefed on it by those who did.
A Biden spokesman declined to comment. But in a recent NBC News interview, Biden said he’d decide on running in 2020 based on whether it was “the right thing to do.” “I’m focused on one thing: electing a Democratic Congress to stop this erosion of the core of who we are,” Biden said. “I’ll look at that a year from now. I have plenty of time to consider whether or not to run.”

The meeting was one of several signs that Biden is beginning to position himself as an alternative to Trump. Biden has started denouncing the current president’s leadership more frequently in public, as he crisscrosses the United States and beyond to promote his new book, his cancer initiative, his new domestic policy institute in Delaware, the diplomacy center and his new political action committee, American Possibilities.

He’s also been gearing up to play a major role campaigning for Democrats seeking to retake the House and Senate in the 2018 midterms. “Donald Trump’s looking out for Donald Trump. Republicans are looking out for Donald Trump. Who’s looking out for everyone else? Democrats,” Biden wrote in a recent fundraising pitch to the PAC’s supporters. He said in 2018, he would “beat a path all across this country to stand up for leaders who will stand up for all of us.”
https://apnews.com/492e3a59b5d74e5bb29adad83bd3602a

Robbie Gramer posted a series of tweets Saturday keying off the AP report to add his observations of Biden at the Munich Security Conference.
1/ Piggy backing off a great piece from Josh for a quick thread: Biden was at the Munich Security Conference for a brief speech and tons of backroom meetings. He wasn’t here for any 2020-esque reasons, but behind the scenes he sort of stole the show

2/ There’s a real air of tension at Munich this year with US-European relations under Trump. A few European officials told me when Biden entered a room, the energy in the room just shifted, something they said HR (who gave keynote here) didn’t get.

3/ And certainly not the tepid reception Mike Pence received when he spoke at the conference last year, shortly after Trump took office (when a short pauses for applause were built into Pence’s speech, and no applause came)

4/ A lot of it is that intangible hype, but the European officials told me he was welcomed in Munich with open arms, and with an air of ‘2020’ swirling around him”

Avatar Photo: Michael "Who Says?" Cohen. Says SDNY & Mueller. What it's like at the prison in Otisville where Michael Cohen may go? https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/us/micha ... index.html

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Joseph "Joe" Robinette Biden Jr. 2020?

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:56 pm

No.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 am

Sorry, Uncle Joe. Love you lots, but I want fresh blood.

ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:36 am

Nah.

¡Sterngard! come home.

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:49 am

In any event, it is good to have ambassadors representing the better part of us to the rest of the world, and good on Joe for being that ambassador.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:23 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 am
Sorry, Uncle Joe. Love you lots, but I want fresh blood.
There must be exciting Democrats somewhere, born in the 70's, any gender, any skin pigment.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:31 am

My generation has utterly failed the Planet. Time for people born after 1975 to take over and straighten out our mess.

dcsalmon

Post by dcsalmon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:35 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:31 am
My generation has utterly failed the Planet. Time for people born after 1975 to take over and straighten out our mess.
:yeah:

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Big fan of Joe, not a fan of any future presidential candidacy. If he asked me, I’d say “If you really need to run for something, go back to Congress!” Often wondered, tho, about the alternate history where Joe Biden won in ‘88.

How deep could the Deep State go if the Deep State could go deep?

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:00 pm

voxpopuluxe wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:55 pm
Big fan of Joe, not a fan of any future presidential candidacy. If he asked me, I’d say “If you really need to run for something, go back to Congress!” Often wondered, tho, about the alternate history where Joe Biden won in ‘88.
:like:

ImageImageImage x4

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:12 pm

The DNC is expecting 12-15 candidates for 2020 and respectfully, looking forward to Biden being one of those candidates. I believe we need lots of voices and everyone should be able to run. But the feedback is interesting, will pass it along.

Avatar Photo: Michael "Who Says?" Cohen. Says SDNY & Mueller. What it's like at the prison in Otisville where Michael Cohen may go? https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/us/micha ... index.html

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:12 pm
The DNC is expecting 12-15 candidates for 2020 and respectfully, looking forward to Biden being one of those candidates. I believe we need lots of voices and everyone should be able to run. But the feedback is interesting, will pass it along.
That worries me, especially since I am not sure that there is an attractive candidate among them. The 2016 experience bothers me. It ought never have happened.

There ought to be one or more younger Democrats who are much in the public eye now.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:26 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:15 pm
Orlylicious wrote:
That worries me, especially since I am not sure that there is an attractive candidate among them. The 2016 experience bothers me. It ought never have happened.

There ought to be one or more younger Democrats who are much in the public eye now.
Nature abhors a vacuum, Tollie. Someone will emerge. I like Martin O'Malley, Julian Castro, Kirsten Gillibrand and Tim Kaine. Eric Garcetti and Kamala Harris for VP.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Please don't get me wrong, I think Donald will win re-election. Democrats are too disorganized and not supportive of the party at this time, but hoping we can start laying the foundation for 2024.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:38 pm

Kaine and Harris are among the attractive combinations there.

They all need air. Schumer, Durbin, Nadler, Clinton, etc. need no air, but these old guys can suck all the air out of the room. They must not be the faces of the Democratic Party in 2020. Curously, Biden comes across as fresh even if he has been at the center of Democratic politics for years. However, he is well past his time to run.

I doubt that Trump will be their opponent. If he is, I think he will have been the last Republican president.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:42 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:38 pm
Kaine and Harris are among the attractive combinations there.

They all need air. Schumer, Durbin, Nadler, Clinton, etc. need no air, but these old guys can suck all the air out of the room. They must not be the faces of the Democratic Party in 2020. Curously, Biden comes across as fresh even if he has been at the center of Democratic politics for years. However, he is well past his time to run.

I doubt that Trump will be their opponent. If he is, I think he will have been the last Republican president.
:like:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
My outsiders opinion: Biden should not run anymore (imho due to age) but he ought to be invited to become the mentor of the Democratic ticket after the primaries. Help them kickstart a fresh administration as advisor maybe during the first year until a the new administration has settled (I assume of course the Republicans get kicked out of office, don't I?).

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:36 pm
Please don't get me wrong, I think Donald will win re-election. Democrats are too disorganized and not supportive of the party at this time, but hoping we can start laying the foundation for 2024.
I can't see how a guy who can't get 40% in a poll can win re-election. He's not getting better, he's getting worse. But I suppose it's not unpossible.

Mr. William L. Bryan is the root of a great deal of criminal mischief.
And yet, Mr. Bryan remains at large. :mrgreen:

bob

Post by bob » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:03 pm
I can't see how a guy who can't get 40% in a poll can win re-election. He's not getting better, he's getting worse. But I suppose it's not unpossible.
As 2000 and 2016 taught us, 40% isn't the goal; 270 is.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:13 pm

dcsalmon wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:35 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:31 am
:yeah:
No. It is surely time for younger generations to take over, but they should do so with a better understanding of modern history. Your generation:
* Implemented, used, and then shut down one of the most successful military strategies, Mutually Assured Destruction. The following generations need not have the nightmares that I did.
* Sustained the United Nations and strengthened its constituent organizations. In WHO we have a global capacity to prevent, detect, and confront epidemics. FAO feeds nations in famine. UNICEF makes children matter. That is just a start.
* Created the EPA and passed many laws, including laws that have given us clean air and water.
* Extended the human life span for all but African American males.
* Helped to bring economic growth to the peripheral countries of the world economic system. One of the effects has been a major reduction in the percentage of the world’s population living in grinding poverty. Child mortality rates have fallen.

Yes, our generation has much to answer for. but there is a lesson from all those accomplishments: government can do good.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Tollie, we trashed, overheated and overpopulated the Planet. Pretty much all crimes in my book.

We may not be on the nuclear brink (although Trump and Kim don't give me much confidence) but we've left messes that will take all the ingenuity and persistence I hope we have endowed in our utes.

To quote Foogie, it's a :pickle:

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:59 pm

All that began with the Industrial Revolution. Indeed there are huge problems. and indeed they either grew worse or became more visible during your lifetime.

In the 1950’s serious people were seriously concerned about exhausting the capacity of the globe to sustain us. Your generation and the one before it brought family planning to the world and reduced the rate of population growth.

Your generation began the slow process of eliminating dangerous trash dumps. Something like Buffalo Creek should not reoccur.

I would blame us for not advancing a climate change agenda at national levels. Local initiatives have been underway with ICLEI and other coordinators. They are working.

And we let Trump be elected. It was not only the geezers, of course, but we carry a large share of the blame.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:02 pm

You say "your generation." Don't you mean "our generation"?

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:22 pm

bob wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:14 pm
Foggy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:03 pm
As 2000 and 2016 taught us, 40% isn't the goal; 270 is.
It's not a numbers game. It's a Putin game.

I agree some candidates have baggage and some have worn out their welcome, but can we leave off the age-ist comments, please?

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:24 pm

Yes. It is our generation.

The crucial thing is not to feed the idea that government can do no good. We caused it to do great good. FDR used government well; we also used it powerfully.

Return to “Presidential Election”