Democratic National Committee (2020)

Addie

Re: Democratic National Committee (2020)

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:06 am

That's a relief :lol: :lovestruck:
Suranis wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:03 am
Well, I'm Speechless.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:53 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:14 am
Amen, Foggy.
Agree with Foggy 100%.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 am

Can I get a short description of what "progressive" means?
**asking for a friend.

accurate article?
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/9140

"He that never compares his notions with those of others...seldom discovers the objections which may be raised...therefore often thinks himself in possession of truth, when he is only fondling an error long since exploded."
Samuel Johnson 1754

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:38 pm

This is the 50th anniversary of the assassination of Robert F Kennedy. It seems that ad7kt life has been defined by deaths: JFK, MLK, RFK, my ex-wife. At age 76 i need something to work towards. Defeating Trump and the Republicans is crucial, but it is not a cause for hope. Obama brought hope backinto our lives. RFK also gave me hope.

From CBS News:

Journalist Pete Hamill, who helped subdue Robert Kennedy's assassin, says the wound America suffered that night has yet to heal.

"It's a story of what might have been," he said. "Not about what happened, but what we lost when it happened."

"What did we lose?" asked Axelrod.

"Hope."

"I want the Democratic Party and the United States of America to stand for hope instead of despair."

It was asked what "progressive" means. The meaning begins with hope. That seems to be what the DNC is lacking. Just winning seats in Congress is not hopeful. It may even not be helpfu. I recommend Hamill's novel Forever. It tells the story of the city that i love, in a mystical tale.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:11 pm

Sounds like the Progressives would have loved this guy. Pity he never ran for President. :daydream:

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:15 pm

Suranis wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:11 pm
Sounds like the Progressives would have loved this guy. Pity he never ran for President. :daydream:
All the progressives I know think he's an evil neocon.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:18 pm

No, you sorta know me and I think he was as progressive as he could be under the circumstances. I wish he had done more to prosecute the banksters; I wish he had been able to do more on building the smart grid.

But he was no evil neocon, not even close. :nope:

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you are trying to say?
:think:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:33 pm

Danraft wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 am
**asking for a friend.
Here's something I put together a while ago. May need some tweaks.

Proposed_Progressive_Democrats_Platform.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:58 pm

Foggy, thank you.
no comment yet.
My Sunday is not mine today.

"He that never compares his notions with those of others...seldom discovers the objections which may be raised...therefore often thinks himself in possession of truth, when he is only fondling an error long since exploded."
Samuel Johnson 1754

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:45 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:33 pm
Danraft wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 am
**asking for a friend.

Proposed_Progressive_Democrats_Platform.pdf

Excellent.

You left out some of the hardest parts though.
--Do deficits matter? (yes)
--How do we deal with deficits and start to pay back the National Debt? (raise taxes :eek2: and cut defense spending )
--How do we save Social Security? (get rid of the cap on the Social Security and medicare tax)
--Single payer healthcare with nationwide bargained for prescription drug prices.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:27 am

I will add those. Right now I'm starting Building the New American Economy by Jeffrey Sachs (foreword by Bernie Sanders). One of the controversies in the movement is, some progressives are against capitalism, but others think it just needs to be regulated properly. I'm in the second group. I have Saving Capitalism by Robert Reich on my Kindle and will get to it soon.

Thanks, and any other critiques and/or suggestions will be appreciated, peeps. :bighug:

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:29 am

Foggy, you study so hard. We benefit. Thanks.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:33 am

:-D

I do it for the children. MY children. :lol:

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:22 am

:thumbs:
Foggy wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:27 am
...some progressives are against capitalism, but others think it just needs to be regulated properly. I'm in the second group.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:25 pm

Foggy wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:27 am
I will add those. Right now I'm starting Building the New American Economy by Jeffrey Sachs (foreword by Bernie Sanders). One of the controversies in the movement is, some progressives are against capitalism, but others think it just needs to be regulated properly. I'm in the second group. I have Saving Capitalism by Robert Reich on my Kindle and will get to it soon.

Thanks, and any other critiques and/or suggestions will be appreciated, peeps. :bighug:
One of the better explanations/analogies of the place of capitalism I've heard went something like this. Beware of plagiarism since I am very sure this wasn't my original thought.
Conservatives say that capitalism is the engine that drives the economy. They are right about that. Our economy needs capitalism just like every car needs an engine.

But it takes a lot more than an engine to make a safe, reliable and efficient car. An engine will make a car go, but a car needs good brakes so that it will stop and not kill people. It needs steering to make it go where it wants. It needs seatbelts to protect the occupants in case of a crash. It needs a heater so you can drive it in the winter. A large powerful engine may be fast, but a small slower engine is more efficient.

What the conservatives want is a race car with no brakes. We can decide whether we want a Volvo, a Jeep or a Honda Civic, but no matter what an economy that just has unregulated capitalism is as dangerous as a race car without brakes, steering or seat belts.

Analogy continues where the Justice Dept is the brakes, the Fed is the steering, contract law is the roads, and the social safety net is the seat belts. etc

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:55 pm

People forget, or more likely never thought about, the fact that the majority of our regulations came about in response to those segments of our society who can’t be trusted to “govern themselves accordingly”. There will always be overreach, crooks, and Trumps who just ignore the law, or manipulate the law to their advantage, which is what the Russians seem to be doing right now with their lawsuits against Americans, or buy the law, which can happen in rural areas.

We need to revisit federal regulations on a regular basis. We never have. This guy, though, he’s one of the crooks, or Trumps, I can’t tell if they’re one and the same. He doesn’t have our best interests at heart. I don’t want thim to do it.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Understand the frustration with the DNC. As some of you know, I do forward some of the messages. One really positive result was their work in CA, there was real concern a D lockout in several districts with so many candidates but it appears we didn't get locked out anywhere. There was even a bit of RWNJ propup to split some R votes in one district. It's also set up we have almost as many pickup opportunities in NJ. And PA is wide open with the court ruling. The DNC, DCCC, and DSCC need support and hopefully they'll regain people's trust to unite even more.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:52 am

Politico
House Dems seethe over superdelegates plan

The Democratic National Committee is set to meet this week to decide on a reform plan that would rein in superdelegates. ...

The first proposal — a product of the “Unity Reform Commission” established at the 2016 convention to “revise and reduce” the role of superdelegates — would create three categories of superdelegates. Some superdelegates would be allowed to vote in the first roll-call vote for the presidential nominee, while others would not.

However, Perez warned members that this proposal wouldn’t win enough backing to be adopted at the August DNC session.

The second option, which Perez supports and which appears far more likely to be enacted, would allow superdelegates to continue to exist, but they couldn’t vote during the first round of the presidential roll-call vote. They could, however, vote during the second round or any subsequent roll call, and they would still be permitted to support any candidate they wanted.

Perez believes this approach ensures that “we have an inclusive party, transparent process, democratic principles, and empowers the grassroots,” a DNC official said.

And that’s what set the House members off, because none of them believe there will be any more than one roll-call vote for the nominee.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:01 am

Geeze, what a concept brainiacs.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:30 am

Lani wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:01 am
Geeze, what a concept brainiacs.
Oh no... the shock... my heart... its all going dark..

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Return to “Presidential Election”