Duckworth 2020?

Post Reply
User avatar
Mikedunford
Posts: 8892
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Duckworth 2020?

#1

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:08 pm

Putting this here as a bit of a placeholder.

I'm not sure if she's considering running, but I've got an impression from watching her over the last few months that she's actively trying to build her national profile. Her critiques of "Cadet Bone Spurs" have gotten more pointed, and she's proposing changes to (among other things) the family and medical leave act to provide for paid maternity leave.


If she runs, there will be birthing. She was born in Thailand to a citizen father and a non-citizen mother; her candidacy would be subject to the same objections that Ted Cruz faced. That puts her, of course, in a category that :sterngard: thinks are non-eligible - a direction that I lean toward as well, although I'm less sure than Stern that courts could resolve the issue.


I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 43110
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Over the drawbridge

Re: Duckworth 2020?

#2

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:10 pm

:thumbsdown:



User avatar
Turtle
Posts: 2157
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:27 pm

Re: Duckworth 2020?

#3

Post by Turtle » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:15 pm

I think some of the vets in Congress are just deeply offended by the DOTUS calling them treasonous for not clapping at the SOTU.




User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 2912
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Duckworth 2020?

#4

Post by Azastan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 pm

Besides the problem with her birthplace, she's also going to be giving birth to a daughter sometime this April. I think many people would not vote for her because they would feel she should be taking care of her young daughter.

This would not keep me from voting for her, but it's something that the 'party of family values' :rotflmao: would beat to death.



User avatar
MN-Skeptic
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:36 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: Duckworth 2020?

#5

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 pm

No comment about any presidential aspirations, but I seriously LOVE her "Cadet Bone Spurs." I hope more people pick that nickname up.


MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

User avatar
Turtle
Posts: 2157
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:27 pm

Re: Duckworth 2020?

#6

Post by Turtle » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 pm




User avatar
pipistrelle
Posts: 3933
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Re: Duckworth 2020?

#7

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:41 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 pm
No comment about any presidential aspirations, but I seriously LOVE her "Cadet Bone Spurs." I hope more people pick that nickname up.
Especially since she cannot have heel spurs herself due to her combat service.



User avatar
vic
Posts: 3310
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:36 am
Location: The great San Fernando Valley
Occupation: Web developer

Re: Duckworth 2020?

#8

Post by vic » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:45 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:41 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 pm
No comment about any presidential aspirations, but I seriously LOVE her "Cadet Bone Spurs." I hope more people pick that nickname up.
Especially since she cannot have heel spurs herself due to her combat service.
It would be even better if she did have bone spurs, and the military, in her physical, didn't consider that a reason to reject her.



Grumpy Old Guy
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:24 am

Re: Duckworth 2020?

#9

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Hey guys, please enlighten a poor foreigner.

If Tammy Duckworth was born to a US Citizen (father or mother) did she not become a citizen at birth, and therefore natural-born, assuming her citizen parent had met the residency requirements in force at the time?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... broad.html

Mario Apuzzo and the birthers try to distinguish between born a citizen and natural-born citizen, but it seems there are only two routes to citizenship, born or naturalized.

Edit: She certainly checks all the boxes, smart, veteran, serious wounds, excellent record of public service.

Also, Junior Senator from Illinois, where has that come up before?



User avatar
bob
Posts: 23534
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: Duckworth 2020?

#10

Post by bob » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:30 pm
If Tammy Duckworth was born to a US Citizen (father or mother) did she not become a citizen at birth, and therefore natural-born, assuming her citizen parent had met the residency requirements in force at the time?
The short answer is that not all believe that (for those born abroad) a citizen at birth automatically is a natural-born citizen. There were court decisions that ruled to the contrary, but those cases were (as we know) not well litigated.


Imagex5 Imagex2 Imagex3 Imagex2

User avatar
Mikedunford
Posts: 8892
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Duckworth 2020?

#11

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:30 pm
Hey guys, please enlighten a poor foreigner.

If Tammy Duckworth was born to a US Citizen (father or mother) did she not become a citizen at birth, and therefore natural-born, assuming her citizen parent had met the residency requirements in force at the time?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... broad.html

Mario Apuzzo and the birthers try to distinguish between born a citizen and natural-born citizen, but it seems there are only two routes to citizenship, born or naturalized.

Edit: She certainly checks all the boxes, smart, veteran, serious wounds, excellent record of public service.

Also, Junior Senator from Illinois, where has that come up before?
So here's the very short version of my skepticism -

At the time Duckworth was born, she was a US Citizen. However, that citizenship was contingent on her meeting subsequent conditions - under the law in effect at the time of her birth, she would automatically lose her citizenship unless she spent five years in the United States between the ages of 14 and 28. She was never actually required to meet those conditions, as that law was repealed with retroactive effect before she turned 14.

So the question is - can she be a natural born citizen if her citizenship was subject to automatic revocation in the event that she failed to meet certain requirements? I'm good with NBC = citizen from birth where the citizenship is irrevocable, but I'm not as comfortable with the idea that natural born citizenship can be dependent on the performance of requirements decades after birth.


I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Grumpy Old Guy
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:24 am

Re: Duckworth 2020?

#12

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:42 pm

Mike,

It would make an interesting court test, forcing the Supremes (or a lower court) to determine how natural-born is natural-born.

For Ms Duckworth, surely the removal of the 10 year residency period, retroactive to the time before she needed to meet it, would remove your doubts. Cruz would be the same, although a much, much less desirable candidate



scirreeve
Posts: 1097
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:51 am

Re: Duckworth 2020?

#13

Post by scirreeve » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:40 am

I chatted with her a year or so ago in the United Club in O'Hare (she would not remember that). Very nice person - that is the end of my brag about a random encounter with a semi famous person.



User avatar
pipistrelle
Posts: 3933
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Re: Duckworth 2020?

#14

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:15 am

Azastan wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 pm
Besides the problem with her birthplace, she's also going to be giving birth to a daughter sometime this April. I think many people would not vote for her because they would feel she should be taking care of her young daughter.

This would not keep me from voting for her, but it's something that the 'party of family values' :rotflmao: would beat to death.
Same crowd told Clinton she should focus on being a granny.



Post Reply

Return to “Presidential Election”