What's Your Voting Plan? VBM, Early Voting, Election Day, Or Have You Voted?

What's Your Current Voting Plan?

Vote By Mail/Absentee
65%
Early Voting
29%
Election Day
4%
Not Voting
No votes
Other
1%

Total votes: 68

Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Re: What's Your Voting Plan? VBM, Early Voting, Election Day, Or Have You Voted?

Post by Foggy »

neonzx wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:19 pm In person?
Yes, we voted in person as a fambly. Alex Bob Todd whoever wrote in his own name on the two available write-in slots. :doh:
How long was the wait?
A little more than half an hour. There were more than a hundred people in line already when we got there, but the early voting site was in the basketball gym of our local community center and there were more than 50 voting booths, so the line moved fairly quickly. It's a gorgeous day here, bright, sunny, about 72°, a few fluffy white clouds. SoCal had nothing on us today! All in all, a very pleasant experience. :-D

I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
tek

Re: What's Your Voting Plan? VBM, Early Voting, Election Day, Or Have You Voted?

Post by tek »

Our county is already counting mail-in ballots, but won't tell us our ballots are counted until the polls close...
d-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There's no way back
from there to here
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Here's my voting day story. It's a happy one.

Our ballots arrived while I was still in KC. I gave hubs specific instructions where to keep them (inside my mostly closed, powered-off laptop) until I got home so we could fill them out together.

A couple of days after I returned home, we filled them out, both writing in a vote for Hubs for county commissioner bc there was no dem on the ballot and I hate leaving anything blank. I put them in a very large zip-lock bag, set them in a very safe place until, finally, today early voting begins.

I drove to the main library in our suburban town across the river from Ft. Myers. This is where I oh-so-easily dropped off our ballots last summer during the local primary. Before that I'd always mailed them but DeJoy's fuckery became apparent in July so that wasn't happening. Anyhoo, last August, the drop box was on the circle drive. One could literally drive up to the box and drop off your ballots (no waiting) and be off the property in less than 60 seconds...last August.

That was not the case today. Voting didn't begin until 10:00 bc that's when the library opens. I got there about 11. It was raining so I had an umbrella and ballots in their zip-locked plastic bag. I felt ready to face whatever was coming at me...except for the crowds. Holy Carp! The parking lot was full, people were parking on the streets, even parking at the Walmart on the corner half a block away and walking over, some without umbrellas! I assume, bc of the rain, the drop off box was placed under a covered sidewalk and the line just to drop off went into the parking lot. A separate early voting line went to the far end of the parking lot, and this is a republican majority area. I guarantee you these people have NEVER stood in lines like this to vote but stand in line they did.

But I know something a lot of locals here don't know. There's a small, county library branch on the north side of town, wedged between a high school and a middle school. It's easy to miss because it looks like part of the school campus. So I headed north. When I turned into that parking lot, the line extended to the parking lot but not into the lot. I used to work the bookstore here so I've seen many election day crowds and, for that location, that was huuuuge! But there was plenty of parking so I parked, grabbed my 'brella and my baggie and headed in. Their circle drive was closed off (due to the long line) but right on the curb of the circle, shining like the Holy Grail, was my beloved drop off box. No line, just a smiling poll worker who opened the hopper for me, closed it, reopened it to show my ballots fell in, proclaiming in a loud voice, "You just voted!". Sadly, he was already out of I Voted stickers (and it was 90 minutes after voting started.

ImageImageImage x4
MRich

Post by MRich »

I just voted - early in-person. Tennessee has 14 early voting days over 3 weeks; this was the start of the 2nd week. When I stepped into the line, I started my timer; 26 minutes. Glad to have it done!

I helped my parents vote by mail this year; it was their first time doing it. In Tennessee you have to have a "reason" to early vote, but being over 60 is one of the allowed reasons. I filled in the on-line forms for them to receive their ballots and was able to track on-line when they were mailed to them, and also to see when the completed ballots were received. (In Tennessee there aren't any drop boxes, you must return the ballots by mail. That's why I decided to vote in person.)

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

MRich wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:53 pm I just voted - early in-person. Tennessee has 14 early voting days over 3 weeks; this was the start of the 2nd week. When I stepped into the line, I started my timer; 26 minutes. Glad to have it done!

I helped my parents vote by mail this year; it was their first time doing it. In Tennessee you have to have a "reason" to early vote, but being over 60 is one of the allowed reasons. I filled in the on-line forms for them to receive their ballots and was able to track on-line when they were mailed to them, and also to see when the completed ballots were received. (In Tennessee there aren't any drop boxes, you must return the ballots by mail. That's why I decided to vote in person.)
I’m from TN, but I don’t live there now, and haven’t since I joined the military. I used to vote absentee when I was on active duty. I had to provide a physical address, and I gave my Dad’s until he died. I asked my brother if I could use his, and he said OK, and added tongue-in-cheek, but only if you vote Republican. I thought, who cares. In national and state elections I voted for Democrats, but in the local elections I voted for Republicans. I figured, I don’t live there and I’m never going to, so I honestly don’t care who the Mayor and city council members are. But my brother cares, and I care about him even if we disagree about politics. He’s a well-educated fiscal conservative small-government Republican, not a pro-life evangelical Christian republican.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:51 pm A couple of days after I returned home, we filled them out, both writing in a vote for Hubs for county commissioner bc there was no dem on the ballot and I hate leaving anything blank. I put them in a very large zip-lock bag, set them in a very safe place until, finally, today early voting begins.
I voted for President, Senator and District 4 Congressman. All other offices were either blank or with only Republican candidates. I left those blank. I have no problem whatsoever about leaving parts blank. If I have no idea at all who the person is, I won't vote for them.

Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Slightly OT, but I thought I'd share this video of how King County does the ballot drop boxes :bighug:

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We all voted by mail (absentee here in Indiana) a couple of weeks ago. My SIL, who lives with us, is currently undergoing chemo so none of us are standing in line with all the Trumpster nutbags around here to vote. Chemo during a pandemic is kind of crazy so we're taking precautions on top of precautions. As much as I wanted to vote against every Republican in existence right now, if we couldn't get absentee ballots then we would have had to skip voting this year.

If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Kendra wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:17 pm Slightly OT, but I thought I'd share this video of how King County does the ballot drop boxes :bighug:

https://www.facebook.com/kcelections/po ... 0596218141
That's cool. The second person goes in to double-check after the first person cleans it out.

:thumbs:

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

My ballot, and my husband's ballot, have both been received, verified, and counted.

Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Azastan wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:04 pm My ballot, and my husband's ballot, have both been received, verified, and counted.
Same for mine and my wife's.

J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Dr. Caligari wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:15 pm
Azastan wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:04 pm My ballot, and my husband's ballot, have both been received, verified, and counted.
Same for mine and my wife's.
Same for mine. It was mailed on 10/14, I received it and dropped it in the ballot drop box on 10/15, and has already been received and counted. Kendra's video shows that many, many people are voting as early as possible, which I think is why my ballot has already been counted. In other years, it might have taken a few days before the ballot box was emptied.
screenshot-info.kingcounty.gov-2020.10.19-22_44_23.png
Here's a blog post about how quickly the drop boxes filled up and had to be emptied. This was posted Saturday mid-day:
1:33 PM: We went over for a look at the West Seattle Junction ballot drop box (SW Alaska between 44th and California) just before 1 pm after a text that it was full. While we were there, more voters showed up, and said you could still get a ballot in – carefully – but since our visit, a line has developed, as shown above. Meantime, we heard back from King County Elections via Twitter that they have pickup teams out right now and one was due to arrive in The Junction at any minute, so this drop box should be cleared out soon.
Pics at the link:
VOTING: Big day for West Seattle Junction ballot drop box

This was posted on the blog today:
Even though the actual vote announcements don’t start until Election Night (November 3rd), KCE [King County Elections] is out tonight with a count of how many ballots it had received by 6 pm: 86,156. They said over the weekend that the first five days in 2016 brought in 10,000+ (via drop boxes).
So in the first 3 days, the county has received 85,156 ballots compared to 10,000 in 2016 in 5 days. :thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Mrs. Reeve fucked up and voted my ballot. I noticed the next day when I voted (we are VBM here). Obviously the sigs won't match. She was pissed off about her mistake and called the County Clerk's office - they said I could send my ballot in (hers actually) and they could sort it out if they confirm we live at the same address (we do of course). I will monitor on line but it is good to live in a state where voting seems to be fair.

Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Meanwhile here in middle GA I went out amongst the plague rats.

I arrived at the polling station at 0740, there was already a line. Polls opened at 0800 i finally got out the door at 1055.

I voted Quimby.

Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:fiesta:

I put it in the voting box on Friday afternoon.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I received my sample ballot last Friday. Did my research on a couple of the judges and Soil and Water Conservation seats and a couple of amendments that I was not familiar with. I will be in line first thing tomorrow morning for in person early voting. Not sure how early I will need to go, but I plan to leave quite early and bring reading material to keep myself occupied while waiting. I don't really trust the mail.

I received a courtesy mailing from the supervisor of elections office that said that I had failed to vote in 2012 and 2016. That is not true. I voted in person both times, but voted in a different precinct because I lived in a different city and county during both of those elections. Maybe in the future I will vote by mail so I can track everything, but I am afraid to do that because of nerve damage in my right arm and fingers and I can't control small motions like what is required for writing. I used to have really nice penmanship. Now, I can write about one full short sentence with nice penmanship, but by the end of a short paragraph it is illegible. I'm concerned about my signature matching and not confident that I would receive a phone call and be allowed the opportunity to come in person and verify my signature, so that is why I stopped voting by mail. But voting by mail allows tracking of whether your vote is received.

I am hoping that I received a courtesy notice about not voting in 2012 and 2016 only because they searched the local database and not because my ballots didn't count even though I watched them being successfully fed into the ballot reader.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

I dropped off my ballot today. The dropbox was in the same room where they are doing early voting. Sort of felt like I was cutting in a well self-distanced line but that was the instructions I was given since I did not need to be in the voting line.

North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I love reading the stories of how everyone here is voting. Sharing the details as friends do.

It is the little things in life that are important.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I dropped mine in the mail today and will get notification of when it's received. I don't remember if they confirm it was counted but will look for it. My vote is insignificant since only a handful of people in my ZIP voted for Individual-1 last time time, and I'm pretty sure one was the Nazi wannabe who lives next door.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

RVInit wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:57 pm I received my sample ballot last Friday. Did my research on a couple of the judges and Soil and Water Conservation seats and a couple of amendments that I was not familiar with. I will be in line first thing tomorrow morning for in person early voting. Not sure how early I will need to go, but I plan to leave quite early and bring reading material to keep myself occupied while waiting. I don't really trust the mail.

I received a courtesy mailing from the supervisor of elections office that said that I had failed to vote in 2012 and 2016. That is not true. I voted in person both times, but voted in a different precinct because I lived in a different city and county during both of those elections. Maybe in the future I will vote by mail so I can track everything, but I am afraid to do that because of nerve damage in my right arm and fingers and I can't control small motions like what is required for writing. I used to have really nice penmanship. Now, I can write about one full short sentence with nice penmanship, but by the end of a short paragraph it is illegible. I'm concerned about my signature matching and not confident that I would receive a phone call and be allowed the opportunity to come in person and verify my signature, so that is why I stopped voting by mail. But voting by mail allows tracking of whether your vote is received.

I am hoping that I received a courtesy notice about not voting in 2012 and 2016 only because they searched the local database and not because my ballots didn't count even though I watched them being successfully fed into the ballot reader.
My husband and I were having this conversation just the other day. We were talking about people who are entitled to vote, but can’t sign their names for any of number of reasons including physical disability or illiteracy. The ADA must require states to have some method of dealing with all of this, but I’m really concerned that the requirement to write your name legibly amounts to a literacy test.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Dropped our ballots off Monday noonish at the box at the county library/early voting location. Checked this morning to see if it had been received. Received and counted!! Woohoo!!
Untitled.png

ImageImageImage x4
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: LDIT Supporters are "Shooketh"! -- Ali Akbar 11/29/20 #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

That's awesome, Slim! And great going everybody!

I've been under the weather & South Florida has been soaked with rain, will use a dropbox by the end of the week or if no line have it cancelled & vote at the library. Florida's good that way. Note for FL voters thinking of doing that: You must bring the VBM ballot to the polls to have it cancelled, otherwise it'll be provisional.

And in wonderful news... Early Voting just passed FORTY MILLION! :dance: :boxing: :thumbs:

1021 EV.JPG
https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vo ... index.html

Avatar: LDIT's Post-election #FAIL record in court. And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:09 pm
RVInit wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:57 pm

My husband and I were having this conversation just the other day. We were talking about people who are entitled to vote, but can’t sign their names for any of number of reasons including physical disability or illiteracy. The ADA must require states to have some method of dealing with all of this, but I’m really concerned that the requirement to write your name legibly amounts to a literacy test.
I didn't look at it carefully since I didn't need it, but there was a separate section on our ballots (PA) where if you helped a person fill out the ballot, you had to sign that you did.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Hmmm, I wonder why. Maybe it's so the person can be contacted to ensure that the person helping actually filled out their ballot the way the voter intended?

I voted in person today. I was in line for about 40 minutes. I always use the sample ballot to prepare ahead of time and I mark that and then I take it in to vote and just go down the line. I made one mistake and decided it wasn't a big enough deal and went ahead and voted yes to retain a judge that I planned on marking no. I accidentally skipped the listing above that one, the person above him is the one I wanted to vote yes to retain. I was going to go get another ballot but decided to just leave it, hoping it was one that I was on the fence and wasn't that big of a deal. :oops: So, when I got home, I felt better after looking up my notes about why I was going to mark no. Still, going to make sure I am more careful next time.

An interesting tidbit. DeSantis has nominated someone for the State Supreme Court. Some of the judges are hard to really find much information about so the best you can do is go to the Florida Bar website and look at the ratings given by members of the Bar. They are divided into categories according to how familiar the Bar member is with the judge - i.e. has significant experience with the judge, has some experience with the judge, or has little to no experience with the judge. Of course, DeSantis' nominee for the Supreme Court has the lowest rating (of any judge on the list!) by Bar members with the most experience with her. And a pretty low rating by members that have some experience with her. Why am I not surprised? It's as if Republicans are trying as hard as they possibly can to make this country an impossible place to have a happy, healthy, and stress free life.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “Elections 2020”