#1 Foggy

Foggy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,120 posts
  • Joined 2 Months and 7 Days
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

I'm starting a new thread with INFORMATION about what's going to happen, instead of just a lot of posts with emotional reactions. ;;)

We're embracing change, because the only thing constant in life is change. :hug: So if you still have some emotional reactions to share, please do so in the other thread. I know this is scary. I appreciate the supportive comments. But this thread is just the facts, ma'am, and nothing but the facts.

Speaking of facts, here are some facts about what's going to happen:

First, some FAQ.

[align=center]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee232/foghorn_leghorn_photos/fogbow/ipb_faq_zpsb4cbc1d1.png~original[/align]

For the record, we're probably a mid-size community.

Next, what will be converted?

[align=center]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee232/foghorn_leghorn_photos/fogbow/convert_ipb_zpsc2c59ec5.png~original[/align]

I will re-create moderators and permission sets after we all get through the wormhole.

Please remember your towels. :towel:

I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO VISIT [/break1]COM]HTTP://INVISIONPOWER.COM AND CHECK IT OUT THOROUGHLY.

You can get an early start familiarizing yourself with the new software.

If you're a member of the Alternative chat, you can log in and explore the current version of IP Board I have installed at [/break1]net/forum/]http://birtherdebunkers.net/forum/ I've paid for the chat room, and it will still work after the conversion. It will still be limited to 50 people at a time, but that should be plenty in most cases.

If you're NOT a member of the Alternative chat, don't bother registering at that site, because IT IS GOING AWAY REAL SOON.

I can only have one website that runs IP Board, and that website URL is going to be [/break1]com/forum/]http://thefogbow.com/forum/.

I forgot where I put my memory pills.

#2 Sterngard Friegen Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

Sterngard Friegen

The Schadenfreuder

• Grumpy Geezer
  • 27,350 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 2 Months and 27 Days
  • LocationFEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

Will our non forum resources be affected?
When there are a finite number of ways to screw something up, Orly Taitz will find an infinite number of ways to do so. (The Sternsig Rule.)

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

#3 Foggy Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

Foggy

• Admin
  • 18,120 posts
  • Joined 2 Months and 7 Days
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

IMPROVEMENTS YOU WILL LIKE:

1. A vastly better search system. Some of you won't use this much. Others will enjoy it immensely.

2. A vastly better mobile experience. Check out: [/break1]invisionpower.com/features/mobile]http://www.invisionpower.com/features/mobile

Here's more info on some of the features we will like (or else). ;;)

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee232/foghorn_leghorn_photos/fogbow/features_ipb_zps2fd10da0.png~original

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee232/foghorn_leghorn_photos/fogbow/more_features_ipb_zps4c07e454.png~original

I forgot where I put my memory pills.

#4 Reality Check Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

Reality Check

"The Professor"

• 9,964 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 8 Months and 8 Days
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

One big thing for me is that there be something equivalent to "View Active Topics".
meetup.gifMyrtle Beach

Reality Check Radio
Reality Check Radio Blog

"The ultimate authority on the validity of a government issued document is the government that issued it." - Foggy, January 29, 2014

#5 Somerset Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

Somerset
  • 2,572 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 2 Months and 24 Days
  • LocationThe Little Red Dot

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

One big thing for me is that there be something equivalent to "View Active Topics".

Me too. I expect there will, but just to add my two cents, I really, really, really use this a lot.
Posted Image

#6 Adelante Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

Adelante

The 10,000 Posts Club

• Grumpy Person
  • 10,175 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 4 Months and 16 Days
  • Locationdownstairs

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

Yes, please.

What is this world coming to?

#7 SueDB Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

SueDB

The 10,000 Posts Club

• 17,121 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 1 Month and 1 Day
  • LocationFEMA Camp Pi PO Box 3.14159 Okanagan, WA 98840

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

Something -anything- but having to figure-out what those damn squiggly lines are to enter a code in the box - Captcha programs suck and the audio alternate is even worse. Some folks have a hard time seeing and hearing (bilateral loss - life can suck as I can "hear" THE tone, a rushing sound (like the squelch on an FM radio) and the ringing louder than I can hear stuff.

I am hoping you can avoid it (unless you really really have to use it.)
Please uh, just say no.

boots.pngreporter.pngmet_obot.gif

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's cat around."  

- Ocee -

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

#8 Reality Check Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

Reality Check

"The Professor"

• 9,964 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

One advantage of IP Board is that it lets you attach PDF's. That means realist could post the court docs in the forum. There might be some file size limitations however. I assume the admin will set those.
meetup.gifMyrtle Beach

Reality Check Radio
Reality Check Radio Blog

"The ultimate authority on the validity of a government issued document is the government that issued it." - Foggy, January 29, 2014

#9 SueDB Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

SueDB

The 10,000 Posts Club

• 17,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

One advantage of IP Board is that it lets you attach PDF's. That means realist could post the court docs in the forum. There might be some file size limitations however. I assume the admin will set those.

Usually (unless Foggy does some intense modification - which is what we try to avoid if at all possible) It would be better for the data base to continue to link to outside sites such as scribd. The more data space you tie up, the slower the performance.You could install a virtual server (more $$$) on another system to hold the documents which are "automatically linked" to the WebPage data base. But, why pay for more data space and the trouble when you can use the web for a huge document/graphics server???

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's cat around."  

- Ocee -

#10 Reality Check Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

Reality Check

"The Professor"

• 9,964 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

I agree with your point that the for major storage requirements SCRIBD makes more sense. It will still be handy to quickly be able to attach a PDF or MP3.
meetup.gifMyrtle Beach

Reality Check Radio
Reality Check Radio Blog

#11 SueDB Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

SueDB

The 10,000 Posts Club

• 17,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

I agree with your point that the for major storage requirements SCRIBD makes more sense. It will still be handy to quickly be able to attach a PDF or MP3.

At least in my mind, you should be able to set up a second computer just to store the graphics and files away from your working data base.

- Ocee -

#12 realist Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

realist

The 10,000 Posts Club

• 28,141 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 9 Months and 9 Days
  • LocationFEMA Camp 12 1/2

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

[mod="realist"]by Foggy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:00 amI'm starting a new thread with INFORMATION about what's going to happen, instead of just a lot of posts with emotional reactions. We're embracing change, because the only thing constant in life is change. So if you still have some emotional reactions to share, please do so in the other thread. I know this is scary. I appreciate the supportive comments. But this thread is just the facts, ma'am, and nothing but the facts.[/mod]
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write.
John Adams

Posted Image x 4 Posted Image x 34

#13 Dr. Kenneth Noisewater Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The Hammer

• Jedi Master
  • 3,430 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 7 Days
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hey guys if you want you can check out IPB on my gaming site that I've left up. Xbox360gamingworld.comYou could either register or ask me for the guest pw through PM. This way you guys could familiarize yourself with the layout. I do warn you though I'm not using the default skin so it may be hard on some eyes.In regards to what RC said there is a link at the top of the board on IPB that says View New Content. This replaces the view new posts section of phpbb. In addition to just posts it includes announcements and any addons foggy might put in there.Further once IPB upgrades to 4.0 there are many additional bells and whistles. It includes the option to get notified when someone quotes you in a forum or when someone replies to a topic you start. This could just be a simple notifier on the upper right of the board.There also is twitter, facebook and other social network integration. You can login with your handles on either site or pull information from your facebook page for status updates etc. You can also share a post on fogbow direct to the social networks with a click of a button. Also integration of inline posting is handled a lot better this includes pictures auto-resizing, youtube videos, etc.New content goes from your last visit but on the left hand side you can customize the range from past 24 hours, past week, past 2 weeks, past month, 6 months and past year.

"...perception is just perception and does not require thinking..." - TrollJack on Amazon Discussion boards

Perception

noun
the act or faculty of perceiving, or apprehending by means of the senses or of the mind; cognition; understanding.

met_obot.gif
New York Obot Wrecking Crew
met_obot.gif
May 2014 Philadelphia Boogiethon

Reality Check Radio
Reality Check Radio Facebook Page

#14 Dr. Kenneth Noisewater Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The Hammer

• Jedi Master
  • 3,430 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

Usually (unless Foggy does some intense modification - which is what we try to avoid if at all possible) It would be better for the data base to continue to link to outside sites such as scribd. The more data space you tie up, the slower the performance.You could install a virtual server (more $$$) on another system to hold the documents which are "automatically linked" to the WebPage data base. But, why pay for more data space and the trouble when you can use the web for a huge document/graphics server???

There is a links modification foggy could put on ipb as well which could have a handy repository for any documents offsite we have or even links to data sources. We could put them all in one place and make it easier.

"...perception is just perception and does not require thinking..." - TrollJack on Amazon Discussion boards

Perception

noun
the act or faculty of perceiving, or apprehending by means of the senses or of the mind; cognition; understanding.

met_obot.gif
met_obot.gif

Reality Check Radio

#15 Tomtech Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

Tomtech
  • Grumpy Person
  • 864 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 9 Months and 23 Days
  • LocationBetwixt the Big and Black Cypress Bayous.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

I must have my "View Active Topics" page! :towel: It's my home page and the best resource available anywhere.
I actually said IANALBIRTFb in a job interview with a candidate for an appeals court position. :D/
7998092063_64b76ffee9_o.png7998092063_64b76ffee9_o.pngmet_obot.gifmet_obot.gifmet_obot.gif7998055604_2c2d2158d0_o.png7998055604_2c2d2158d0_o.png

#16 Sterngard Friegen Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

Sterngard Friegen

The Schadenfreuder

• Grumpy Geezer
  • 27,350 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 2 Months and 27 Days
  • LocationFEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

I pray for the safe transfer of my :sterngard: and Grumpy Geezer group. {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif
When there are a finite number of ways to screw something up, Orly Taitz will find an infinite number of ways to do so. (The Sternsig Rule.)

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

#17 Dr. Kenneth Noisewater Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The Hammer

• Jedi Master
  • 3,430 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

I pray for the safe transfer of my :sterngard: and Grumpy Geezer group. {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif

Smileys are easy to copy over and yes this does have smileys and we can transfer over the groups.

Perception

noun

met_obot.gif
met_obot.gif

Reality Check Radio

#18 SueDB Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

SueDB

The 10,000 Posts Club

• 17,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

There is a links modification foggy could put on ipb as well which could have a handy repository for any documents offsite we have or even links to data sources. We could put them all in one place and make it easier.

Very Kewl

- Ocee -

#19 gatsby Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

gatsby
  • 4,077 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 4 Months and 19 Days
  • LocationWest Egg, Long Island

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

Embedding Scribd documents into fogbow posts would be a great compromise. The PDFs are stored on Scribd, but they would display in posts as dynamic images.[/break1]invisionpower.com/files/file/4148-media-tag-scribd/]http://community.invisionpower.com/file ... ag-scribd/

#20 SueDB Re: ►► IMPORTANT - More about converting to IP Board - IMPORTANT ◄◄

SueDB

The 10,000 Posts Club

• 17,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

One big advantage should be better mobile interface. :D

- Ocee -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Content